Jump starting your car
Jump starting a vehicle is a skill that every licensed driver should know. Whether you find yourself with a dead battery in the middle of a busy intersection or in a parking lot late at night, knowing how to safely jump start your car can save you time and money. In this article, we will provide you with some top tips for jump starting your vehicle in Arlington Heights, IL.
Arlington Heights vehicle assistance
If you find yourself in Arlington Heights, IL, and in need of vehicle assistance, you’re in luck. There are several reliable services in the area that can come to your aid. These services specialize in jump starting vehicles and can provide you with the assistance you need to get back on the road quickly.
Another option for vehicle assistance in Arlington Heights is calling a local towing company. Many towing companies offer jump starting services as part of their roadside assistance offerings. These companies often have quick response times and can be a reliable option if you are in a hurry.
Jump starting safety tips
While jump starting your car can be a relatively simple process, it is important to prioritize safety. Follow these tips to ensure a safe and successful jump start:
1. Park the vehicles correctly: Position the vehicles so that their batteries are as close to each other as possible. Ensure both vehicles are in park (for automatic transmission) or neutral (for manual transmission) and that the ignition is turned off.
2. Identify the positive and negative terminals: Before connecting the jumper cables, locate the positive (+) and negative (-) terminals on both batteries. These are typically marked with red and black caps respectively.
3. Connect the jumper cables: Once the terminals are identified, connect the cables in the following order:
- Connect one end of the red (positive) jumper cable to the positive terminal of the dead battery.
- Connect the other end of the red (positive) jumper cable to the positive terminal of the working battery.
- Connect one end of the black (negative) jumper cable to the negative terminal of the working battery.
- Finally, connect the other end of the black (negative) jumper cable to an unpainted metal surface on the engine block of the dead vehicle. This will help prevent any sparks near the battery.
4. Start the working vehicle: Start the vehicle with the working battery and let it run for a few minutes to charge the dead battery.
5. Start the dead vehicle: After allowing the working vehicle to run, try starting the dead vehicle. If it doesn’t start, wait a few more minutes and try again.
6. Disconnect the jumper cables: Once the dead vehicle is started, carefully disconnect the jumper cables in the reverse order they were connected, starting with the black (negative) cable from the engine block.
7. Let the vehicle run: Allow the vehicle with the previously dead battery to run for at least 10-15 minutes to recharge the battery.
8. Get your battery checked: While jump starting your vehicle may get it back on the road, it is important to have your battery checked by a professional as soon as possible. A dead battery may be a sign of an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.
Jump start Arlington Heights, IL
If you find yourself in Arlington Heights, IL, and in need of a jump start, remember these important tips:
1. Know your location: When calling for assistance, be prepared to provide your exact location. This will help the service providers locate you quickly.
2. Stay safe: If you are stuck in a busy intersection or on a highway, prioritize your safety by turning on your hazard lights and moving your vehicle to the side of the road if possible.
3. Have necessary information: When calling for assistance, be ready to provide information about your vehicle, such as its make, model, and license plate number. This will help the service provider come prepared with the right equipment.
4. Be patient: Depending on the time of day and traffic conditions, it may take some time for assistance to arrive. Stay patient and wait for help to arrive.
5. Follow instructions: When the service provider arrives, follow their instructions carefully. They are trained professionals and will know the best way to safely jump start your vehicle.
By following these top tips for jump starting your vehicle in Arlington Heights, IL, you can ensure a safe and efficient jump start experience. Remember to prioritize your safety and have your battery checked by a professional if you experience recurring issues. Stay prepared and stay on the road!