This post was originally published on www.statefarm.com
The need for car maintenance and upkeep doesn’t stop — even if you’ve been driving a lot less than you usually do. Whether you need an oil change, new tires or belt replaced, there are ways of keeping your vehicle in tip-top shape while still also keeping your social distance. Here’s how.
Social distance during vehicle checkups
Like many businesses, automotive service providers pivoted in 2020 to help protect both their employees and their customers. That meant instituting touchless car care. What does that look like? Here are some best practices to watch for.
- Contactless payment, which may include bill-pay apps or other non-touch online options.
- Touchless drop off and pick up, or safe distancing, extra cleaning and employee-customer protection in shop or retail spaces.
- Adherence to safety guidelines such as mask recommendations, spacing between staff and/or customers and staggered shifts for employees.
- Regular and thorough surface sanitizing before and after repairs.
Maintenance for vehicles driven less frequently
Lots of people are now working from home, either permanently or semi-permanently. They may also be driving less frequently as they look to limit their interactions and boost safety. If you’re one of those people, the slow down is a boon to your odometer but may impact your vehicle’s performance. Here are some things to watch for.
- What are your fluid levels — including wiper, coolant, engine oil, power steering fluid, brake, and transmission?
- Are your tires inflated properly? Many newer cars have automatic low-pressure sensors; if yours does not, use a handheld tire pressure gauge.
- Does the car start? If your vehicle hasn’t been driven in a very long time, its battery may have lost its charge.
Finding service you can trust
It can be stressful to find a mechanic you can trust for repair or maintenance; one option is to turn to Openbay. Its online marketplace makes it easy to compare estimates, choose a shop and schedule an appointment, with secure and contactless payment, too. As a State Farm customer, you receive $40 off your first appointment booked and completed through Openbay!